It takes a long time to be able to completely understand art. Some of the people who are good at it say it takes a lifetime to learn it and honestly, they may be right. It does take a very long time to spot expensive art and sculptures. But even if you aren’t an expert it is fun to go to art museums, travel to places where the art is at, and there are better ways to enjoy the art. Here are 5 ways to improve the way you look at art.
1) Study up; learn everything you can about each piece that you know you are going to see. Knowing the history of the art makes it much more enjoyable to look at and doing the research is fairly easy these days with your computer.
2) Try it yourself; try making art yourself, with the understanding that you aren’t going to be able to paint a famous painting such as the Mona Lisa but you can sure have fun trying. Try making a sculpture and again, don’t be too hard on yourself if it isn’t perfect but by doing these things yourself, it can give you a better understanding for art.
3) Switch to contacts; if you wear glasses try switching to contacts for the viewing of art. Contacts seem to give a better view and more clear of an image to look at. Also they can adjust to the lighting better.
4) Buy the audio tour; most museums and even some historical places have an audio aid to help explain the artwork also. While researching the work beforehand helps to understand art better, the audio tour is excellent in telling you all about the historical value and the story behind the piece of art.
5) Keep an open mind; try not to judge the art on the first glance as to whether you like it or not. Once the artwork is explained there may be an interesting story behind it. There are limitless styles of art and if you don’t like one there is always another one just waiting to be looked at.